- Wash the cucumbers thoroughly, then cut them into sections 2-3 inches (5-7.5 cm) in length.
- Scrub the cucumbers vigorously with about half of the coarse salt. Rinse.
- Make three lengthwise incisions down the center of each cucumber section, making sure to leave the ends intact (so they don't split apart once stuffed with the rest of the ingredients).
- Mix the rest of the coarse salt with two-thirds of the water. Soak the cucumbers in this brine for at least an hour.
- Finely chop the green onion, garlic, and ginger (plus the shrimp and leeks if you are using them).
- Mix well everything but the cucumbers.
- Once the cucumbers are ready, stuff them with the mixture from Step 6, being careful not to break them apart. A thin, metal chopstick can be especially helpful here.
- Put the cucumbers in a jar or small pot and pour in the rest of the water. Let sit for a day, then refrigerate before serving.